Scolopendra Cooler System



Scolopendra Cooler

Very compact cooling system for E3Dv6, E3Dv5 and MK10 extruders.

An alternative way to cooling pieces in the 3D printing ...






Hi, this is an idea that begin with the Tronxy X3S that not have nothing for cooling the pieces during the printing.
First prototype is for mk10 extruder that use one 40mm fan to cooling the extruder and use same air flow to cooling the piece. I named it Scolopendra because it remember me a head of scolopendra :)
You can see below





Link Youtube Video      Link Thingiverse STL Download


it worked well above my expectations! ...  only problem is how to stop cooling for use with ABS and other plastic that not PLA. 

To solve that, I thinking to add flaps/blades to switch the on/off the cooling of the piece. Yes .. it has manual switch .. but in my use of the printer, I always check first layer for not having bad surprises .. and manual switch not a problem for me.


It require a little assembling and use glue, all show in the video, see the link below

 Link Youtube Video     Link Thingiverse STL Download

Ok, this version works well and solve on/off problems but it lose air from the back and for that reason it require a fan with much airflow.
That introduce some noise due to the high speed of the fan.

Next step is made a Scolopendra for my second printer ... the Anycubic i3 mega.
The i3mega use a clone of E3Dv5 extruder. With this extruder I change something in the design ... all closed, it no lose air and it is more efficient :)
The fan speed is reduce to around 60-70% and we have less noise from it.


In i3mega you can use extruder fan that already have speed reduced by default conf. and also auto power off it when the extruder temperature is under 60C.
It require a little assembling and use glue, all show in the video, see the link below


Link Youtube Video     CGTrader Shop STL Download


The Scolopendra for E3Dv5 extruder works so well that I made one version for E3Dv6 extruder to mount on my Tronxy X5S.
I not use original E3Dv6 extruder but a clone, a full metal version (no ptfe tube inside). If interest to this clone, in description of the youtube video there is the link. Below the new version that is more compact than i3mega :)

 
It require a little assembling and use glue, all show in the video, see the link below

Link Youtube Video     CGTrader Shop STL Download


How I use this cooler

All first layer use close flaps and from second layer:

- PLA - all open flaps
- ABS:
        - big print - all close flaps/ one open flap
        - small print - one open flap

I set fan speed to works well with small PLA prints
That is All .. enjoy  :)

------